Monday, January 10, 2011

30 Days of [Figure] Skating: Day Ten

Day 10: Last competition/show you attended...

I will speak on both, because I can. The last competition I attended was in 2008, the US National Figure Skating Championships held, that year, in St. Paul Minnesota. I met up with my regular gang of crazy girls and we, once again, had a wonderful time. The skating was good, some parts of the competition were nail biters (Johnny vs Evan anyone?), I shocked everyone by booing the scores at the end of the Men's final... we all took interest in several of the soon to be stars in Juniors (The Shibs, for one... and I got the girls hooked on Keegan!)


The last show/gala I was able to attend was the Fairbanks Art Festival Skating exhibition. Melissa and Denis were guest skaters and teachers and the kids of the area did an amazing job with their skating. It was such a joy to be able to see some great skating by the local talent as well as a wonderful performance by Gregory & Petukhov. They made me realize that I missed the feeling of watching figure skating LIVE, and I vowed to make it down to another skating event in the states soon. US Nationals 2012, here I come! (I hope)
I've heard that Fairbanks is not going to have the skating event this summer. Which has me completely bummed out as I was hoping to take the trip back up there this summer, but no such luck. Guess I will just have to reflect back on last summer, then. It's a huge disservice by the head honchos to kill the participation of the skaters. They were terrific.


No comments:

Post a Comment