Wednesday, February 2, 2022

February 2 is Sled Dog Day

I don't know who made it an official holiday, but today is Sled Dog Day. Figured I would celebrate the day by sharing some of my favorite sled dog shots from the last 18 years. Be warned, this will be a photo heavy post. So without further adieu (as we all know, a photo is worth 1000 words anyway) here they come:

The first sled dog shot I ever shared on my blog. Only fitting it
is the first one I share on this post. This is from the 2006? Iditarod.

To save on bandwidth and space, I'll put the rest under a cut:

Taken with one of my first "smart phones" at Wildride.
Nothing truly impressive about this shot, but I just adore
Seavey puppies... and the good memories of Wildride.
(Not a clue who this pup grew up to be, though!)

10 years ago was my first go as the official
photographer for the Tustumena 200.
I loved this photo of one of Justin Savidis' team.

A dog from Paul Gebhardt's final Iditarod team.

One of Mitch Seavey's dogs at the Tustumena 200.



Participating in the checkpoint howl at the Tustumena 200.


This photo of Mitch Seavey's dog Rudder hangs in my office.

Taken during my first year at Wildride. 
Angus and Zebra in lead, Buddy is the musher.

A should've been champion lead dog named Fridge.
Gone too soon, but a very good boy.


Pretty sure that lead dog howled all the way to Homer
from the Caribou Hills. Taken at the start of the
2019 Tustumena 200.


Mitch Seavey's Ghost. This was a promotional
shot I did for Team Seavey ahead of the 2019 Iditarod.

One of Jeff King's dogs looks out at the controlled chaos that is
the Iditarod Restart. March 2019.

Cim Smyth's team coming into the Homer Checkpoint
during the 2019 Tustumena 200.

One of Zephyr's many outtakes of that promotional
photoshoot in 2019 for Team Seavey. Such a silly boy.





Hmmm well I was going to share more but my computer is being difficult and it's getting late... so this is mostly from the last couple of years, but you get the idea. I'll be better prepared next year. Promise!

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos! I adore sharing these arrays with my friends so they will learn that all sled dogs do not look alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! That's so cool.

      Yes sled dogs have no standard in the looks department. Though if you follow long enough you can tell which dogs come from which kennels/bloodlines. It's really neat!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous pictures!! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete