Saturday, February 6, 2021

Iditarod Ceremonial Start canceled

For the first time in 49 years, Iditarod will not start in Anchorage. The Ceremonial Start has seen its share of changes over the decades. Originally a traditional race starting point, it then took on a celebratory feel that was part opening ceremony while still also counting towards the overall mileage and times for teams. The new millennium saw even more changes when the Anchorage start became Ceremonial only and times were no longer counted. Teams were trucked from Anchorage to Wasilla or Willow (and sometimes Fairbanks in bad snow years) after the teams paraded 11 miles through Anchorage in what's considered one of the largest tailgating (or as we say TRAILgating) events in the world.

The Anchorage Ceremonial Start of the Iditarod is the finale event of the two week Fur Rondeveux winter festival (well, okay, they SAY it's the Running of the Reindeer is the finale, but pfft, we know that's not true). Alaskans come from all over the state to watch the teams take off. Fans spend hard earned dollars to win auctioned off rides in the sleds. Bystanders roast hot dogs, drink beer, eat muffins -and share all that and more with the passing teams. It's a PARTY. It's JOY. It's a CELEBRATION.

Last night the Iditarod Trail Committee (ITC) announced that this year, there would be no start in Anchorage. The ITC released a statement saying:

"While the Iditarod believes the future does not belong to the fainthearted, we take the health and well-being of our racers, volunteers, staff, and spectators very seriously. After consulting with our stakeholders and in consultation with the Municipality of Anchorage, we decided to cancel our traditional ceremonial start in Anchorage due to the COVID-19 concerns of a large gathering.

The Iditarod looks forward to its 50th anniversary event in Anchorage to be held Saturday, March 5, 2022. For now, it’s up to all Alaskans to come together and embrace the spirit of the 20 mushers who travelled the Iditarod Trail to Nome in 1925 to deliver the precious life-saving diphtheria serum. Let’s all do our part and make sure we wear our masks, practice social distancing, wash our hands, and keep our spirits high."

The race promises this is a one year issue, and that they plan to be in Anchorage next year for the race's 50th event.


As many of my readers know, the Iditarod start is something I look forward to all year. Growing up in Alaska, winter meant Iditarod for me and for my family. My grandparents were Iditarod volunteers from the 70s up until my grandmother passed away in 2012. My grandfather was the area coordinator for a section of the Iditarod Anchorage trail for decades. His team saw their section grow up from being just a residential area with a few driveways and a semi big road that meant they had to do traffic control to now a huge hub of medical buildings and a dog park. Lots of changes.

But this is the biggest change. For the first time in my adult life, I will NOT be at the start of the Iditarod. The ITC is asking spectators to stay away and they are not giving out media passes. There's really no reason for me to attend, and I respect the ITC's wishes to keep the bubble secure. Covid has changed a lot and this is just another one. I would much rather see the race go on and me have to be at home than the thing be canceled in its entirety.

This just gives me more time to blog about the first few days of the race, and watch along with everyone. I'm thinking about doing some sort of live watch party if I can figure out how. (Anyone with any experience, hit me up and let me know how it all works.) 

It's been a huge blow as this is the one "vacation" I was sure would happen (Iditarod had a strong covid-19 plan in place for the ceremonial start) and I really needed this weekend. But I'd rather just really go all out for the 50th. I have over a year to plan and make my section the best it's ever been. 

No comments:

Post a Comment