Sunday, February 13, 2011

30 Days of [Figure] Skating: Day Thirty!

Day 30: Why Do You Love Figure Skating?

That's the big question, isn't it? Originally it was because I liked to be entertained. I grew up during the "golden era" of North American figure skating. There were professional competitions and shows just about every weekend on TV (especially after 1994) and with skaters like Scott Hamilton and Kurt Browning and Viktor Petrenko... well... those events were never boring.

In high school I fell in love with competitive figure skating because I loved the on the edge of your seat moments of finding out, after a great night of skating, who would come away with gold. There was a rush.

But really what has always been the reason? The skaters themselves. Like any sports fan I become invested in teh personal stories of the athletes themselves. It started with my obsession with Scott Hamilton, and through him I connected his friends on the ice and learned more about them - normally on my way to learn what they really thought about my favorite skater. In high school I began work on fan sites and official sites and connected with some of the up and coming stars that are now, mostly, professional skaters (insanity!). I was emotionally invested in their competitions, their success, their failures...

It's the human aspect that keeps me tuning in, even when I'm bored to tears with the 5 million Carmens and 20billion swan lakes. It's that part of skating that makes it mroe than just baby ballerinas and jumping beans.

It's the skaters themselves that make skating great.

No comments:

Post a Comment