Saturday, July 5, 2014

Top 10 Songs I love (at the moment)

1. The 1812 Overture

 Around this time of year this is always my go to song. In 7th and 8th grade our band teacher had us work, and work hard on this piece of music. We couldn't legally shoot cannons off in the band room or the auditorium, so she had the track coaches shoot track guns into large metal garbage cans. It was one of my most favorite memories of band in all 8 years that I played (5th-12th). I LOVE this piece of music and it's just not the 4th of July until I hear it (yes, I know, the music is not a patriotic piece... nor is it about the American Revolution/America in anyway). I mean, they SHOOT CANNONS as part of the music!

2. Don't Forget Me (Smash)

I loved the TV Show Smash. It lasted two seasons, and it's such a tragedy that it didn't get to go longer. I admit the only reason I stuck with it at first was because Jack Davenport was a main character and played his character extremely well, but I fell in love with so many of the characters as time went on (Christian Borle anyone?). Season 2 was a bit disappointing when they brought in a second musical, but it was still great. Wish it'd found its footing, because I miss the music. I blast "Don't Forget Me" while in the shower all the time. No, I don't try to belt it out like Kat McPhee, though.

3. Go The Distance (Michael Bolton - Disney's Hercules)

I've loved this song since Paul Wylie skated to it in his final season with Stars On Ice. It's just a great song, and it's another that gets blasted a lot while I'm in the shower or getting ready for the day. It's a power song, inspirational... and it's Disney. My mom was a fangirl of Bolton "back in the day" so I get that he's not really my generation's go to guy. But I don't care. I love this song.

4. I'll Make A Man Out Of You (Mulan)

Let's get down to business, to defeat THE HUNS! This has been Erin and my go to song for almost as long as I can remember (where our relationship is concerned anyway). We have a weird fascination with Donny Osmond, and he's the singer in this song. But ultimately it's not Donny that gets us all excited to belt out this classic Disney tune. It's just a fun song that makes us laugh. Whenever this song pops up on my iPod I blast the volume and sing along. It keeps me connected to my beastie even with all the miles that separate us. So, come on, BE A MAN! And be swift as a coursing river, with all the force of a great typhoon, with all the strength of a raging fire, mysterious as the darkside of the moon!

5. On A Hymnsong of Phillip Bliss

Another pice of music that holds a special place in my heart. We played this in high school, down in Florida for a competition. My best friend nearly killed us all as she was supposed to play the triangle. She had ONE NOTE at the end of the program. ONE NOTE that the conductor POINTED AT HER so she knew when to play... and in that moment as we held onto our LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGG note she was off watching a spec of dust float around. Chalk up another win for her ADD. *facepalm* I loved that music. When our "band mascot" and "super duper Senior" Honorable Judge Cranston passed away a year? after I graduated, the KCHS band and alumni were asked to play this song at his service. It was amazing.

6. Monkey Silly Song (VeggieTales)

Another one of the songs that's more of an inside joke between myself and Erin. You will hear us say "It's a monkey" many times in conversation and this is the song we're referencing. Kinda silly, I'm sure, but it's a silly song! I remember when this song first came out. Erin and I watched it together via the phone and youtube and laughed our butts off... Bob is definitely me... and Larry is definitely Erin.

7. Who Am I (Casting Crowns)

Casting Crowns is one of my all time favorite Christian groups. Their songs are so powerful, and this song always speaks to my heart. It's the prayer/questioning of my heart.
Not because of who I am,
But because of what You've done.
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who you are!

8. Home To Alaska (Lee Greenwood)

Yes, it's a dated song, but I absolutely love it. Because it's Alaska. And this would be my heart's cry if I ever leave this place for other parts of the world. Actually after about 10 days of vacation I'm normally crying "I WANNA GO HOME TO ALASKA!" I love traveling "outside", but there's no place like home.

9. Wagon Wheel (Darius Rucker with Lady Antebellum)

Don't ask me why, but this song just gets me every time. Good beat, good melody... and Darius Rucker is one of the best country singers we've got right now. Never thought I'd be a fan of "Hootie" (which I just read on twitter today he's not particularly a fan of being called that, whoops). Now I have the song stuck in my head.

10. Shameless (Garth Brooks)

Yes, it has to be Garth's version of this song. No, I don't want to debate it. Garth was my music idol when I was little. And he's still amazing! I was mad at him for ditching his first wife for Trisha Yearwood, but I'm over it. Because, really... it's not about his personal life, it's about his talent and what he brings on stage. Not as big a fan of his these days, but his music is still the best. So excited that he's supposedly coming out of retirement!

No comments:

Post a Comment