Saturday, January 16, 2010

The right pairs are going to Vancouver.

I was so happy to see reputation judging get thrown out the window during the pairs competition in Spokane. While it was devastating to see Keauna & Rockne falter as much as they did, and Brooke and Ben not make it onto the big podium (still don't get teh whole pewter medal thing, but I digress), it was fantastic to watch Caydee & Jeremy and Amanda and Mark skate like never before and grab first and second.

Caydee and Jeremy have fast tracked their careers to the point where they're now the new "It" team. I've seem Jeremy skate and struggle with other partners for a few years at nationals, but this time it's working. Caydee is MAGIC out there and she brings out a different skater in him. With time they'll settle down and -I believe- will become one of the US golden pairs. I really do have faith. I know that Keauna and Rockne have been given a similar prediction, and -perhaps- they still will, but for now the stars are a little team from Florida.

Also from Florida - Amanda and Mark - it took 8 years of dedication, hard work, and heart, but they finally made it. My friend runs a great fan site for them and I just know she was insane there in spokane watching them skate that amazing long program and then waiting to find out if they'd hold onto second.

Ultimately I believe the right decision was made to go with the top two teams for teh Olympic team. Realistically, the US does not have a chance at a podium finish, and while we do want the highest placements possible, it's also about achieving dreams. Amanda and Mark and Caydee and Jeremy's stories make for great television, which is the only way pairs figure skating wins in the US this year. I know NBC put all of their eggs in Keauna and Rockne's basket, but they're just going to have to deal with the changes... roll with the punches... and all that jazz.

Good night from the land of the midnight... well... snow...

No comments:

Post a Comment