Friday, December 29, 2017

Mushing News Weekly Round Up (Dec 29)

Happy last weekend of 2017! I don't know about you, but I'm thankful that this year is coming to a close and I just pray that 2018 doesn't try to out do 2017 in the "what on earth is going on?!" department. Some days felt like the world was burning. I'm sure each generation has had this sort of feeling, but I'm not a fan of having my turn. But, I digress, this is not a blog post to whine about the past year. We're here for mushing news and fun posts, and that's what I'm here to do.


I'm trying very hard to not just share stuff from the Seavey pages, but how can I pass up this story shared on Christmas Eve? Wishing the best for Magnus, and I know Patrick will give him a very happy life.

The Northern Lights 300 has been cancelled due to the short entry list. Thirteen names were on the roster when the decision was made. The cost could not be made with so few entry fees, so the decision was announced over the weekend. The 150 could still go on with a few more entries, and that decision will be made at a later date.

Newer race the White Mountains Dogsled Race is also cancelled due to poor trail conditions. Open water and lack of snow make the race a no go. Race administration took to facebook earlier this week to make the announcement.

On December 16th it was reported that the Knik 200 was looking at possibly cancelling the 2018 race due to lack of good gold weather. A recent cold snap that brought a bit of snow along with it has apparently saved the Iditarod qualifier for the 2018 season. They will have to move the race's start and finish, but they're a definite go.

Wade Marrs just updated with an end of year, end of phase 1 of seasonal training post. It will be interesting to see his race strategy come Iditarod - especially with Dallas Seavey out of the mix.

The Two Rivers Dog Mushers Association held their Solstice 50 race on Saturday. A lot of familiar names with race fans entered the event and it looks like it was a pretty solid race. Another good opening race for teams to get their legs underneath them.




No comments:

Post a Comment