Friday, October 6, 2017

A Dementia Night

We all went to bed by 1030. Dad had fallen asleep in the chair and was "late" getting Gpa his meds, they are not time sensitive just one needs to be taken at bed time. It is supposed to help Gpa not have anxiety. Normally it works.
Fast forward to a little over half an hour ago and I was scared awake by my grandfather opening my bedroom door and flipping the lights on. This has never happened before. He has knocked on my door every time before entering until tonight. Unless I was so dead to the world I didn't hear it, but that is unlikely as Stitch would have been awake and barking. Needless to say when the light came on both Stitch and I jumped to the ceiling. Stitch immediately raced out of my room thinking it was time for food (so I know where i rank, thanks dog). As for me I am trying to wrap my brain about what is going on! I see gpa dressed but I am pretty sure he slept in what he wore yesterday... but he is in my room yelling something that makes no sense.
Finally he gets out "I don't know where I need to be next! I need to talk to somebody and go there!" I will be honest, I was scared. He was rambling like he did a year and a half ago when he got violent on us. Then he turns to my bookcase near my door and frowns and says "and some of these are mine." I assure him, "Nooo, I promise all of those books have always been mine." He then turns back to me and yelled "I just don't know what's going on!" (After thinking about it, there were a couple of cookbooks in the bookcase that I'd given Gma as gifts, but at midnight I'm not awake enough to realize things like that.)
That's what this all boils down to. His brain can no longer figure out what is a dream, what is imagination, and what is reality. For weeks now he has been upset with us over things we find out we did in a dream of his. Sometimes we can explain to him he was dreaming, but most times he just loses focus and forgets. In this moment at midnight, though, is not the time to suggest that.
"This was easier the first time when the officer told me where to go 90 years ago." At the time this statement threw me. 90 years ago Gpa was maybe 18 months old. I then thought maybe he meant when he went into the Navy. As i type this i think he may have meant the incident in May 2016 when the police were called and he was taken to the hospital where they were able to help him get on the right meds. These are all logical guesses while trying to understand a disease that is anything but logical.
I tell him that my dad should know where he needs to be and I send out a silent prayer that it doesn't set him off. He agrees to the idea (thank you, God) and says he is going to lay on the couch and wait. I quietly go down the stairs trying not to wake my parents in the same manner i was woken up, and I softly call out for dad. Mom of course hears me and has to nudge dad awake (the man will be able to sleep through North Korea nuking us). Dad goes upstairs to see if he can calm Gpa down.
I couldn't hear their full conversation, but Gpa was all over the map. At one point, mid-sentence he stopped and asked dad if the bear rug on the wall was his. Dad answered yes. "What about the horns?" "The moose antlers are from a moose I shot a long time ago, Dad." "Oh."
At one point (I didn't hear this, but dad shared with me later) he was on the subject of sexuality. There's something my dad wanted to talk about with his dad at 12:30 in the morning!
Dad was finally able to get Gpa back to bed, told him he would see him tomorrow after work. Dad and i chatted a minute and now I am back in my room typing. Gpa apparently went right to sleep, but he is restless. He is talking loudly. I am thankful I don't work on Fridays as I have a feeling this night is not over.

No comments:

Post a Comment