Thursday, May 22, 2014

Funny River Fire - Day 4 - in pictures

I didn't take many pictures today, with all of the haze caused by the smoke and the shifting wind there isn't as much to see. I'm sure if I was a fire chaser I could see it, but that's not going to happen. I don't need to be out there causing the people working the scene anymore worry than what they're already dealing with. Besides, I'm terrified of fire, so the last thing I want to do is actually go TOWARDS it.

I've been asked if I am in any danger where I live of these fires. I am not. Kenai is miles away from where it started and we're on the other side of the Kenai River from it to boot. IF it were to make it's way over here that would mean the City of Soldotna and all of Kenai would be destroyed and pretty much it would be the end of the Peninsula as we know it because it would be a herculean fire.

The fire has consumed just under 45,000 acres. Still hasn't claimed any structures or life (human or livestock anyway). Anchorage and the Valley are covered in the smoke now that winds have shifted. The crews have reported a 5% containment (when I went to bed last night it was at 0% so that's something). Canada sent a few water bomber planes, today was their first day on scene. Looks like they were just what we needed. Thanks Canucks!




No comments:

Post a Comment