Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Fairytale Wedding

Most beautiful wedding, EVER!
It was a whirlwind trip to Cali and back for my cousin's wedding, but it was so worth it. I am so thankful that I got to share in Jillian and Matt's day. It was such an amazing testimony to God's love, and the love they share.

California was HOT and we were between the two forest fires, so the first day was basically unbearable. It was 102 in the shade and we were supposed to decorate my aunt and uncle's yard in preparation for the weekend's festivities, but after about an hour of dusting vintage pieces of silver I was spent and ended up sitting in the shade chugging ice water for the rest of the day.

The day before the wedding I wimped out and stayed at Judy and Gaylord's while the rest of the family headed back over to finish getting ready for Saturday's wedding. During the day the heatwave broke, and it was actually pretty plesant if not still on the hot side. I was bummed that I couldn't help out, had I known it'd only be in the low 90s I'd have sucked it up.

Still, I got to edit quite a few photos from one of my sessions that I shot right before heading down, and I got to watch the wildlife for quite a while in the yard. Judy and Gaylord live in Lake Wildwood which is a gated community and there are tons of deer and turkeys and it's really relaxing. Two does and twin fawns spent the entire day with me and I took a few pictures and video. They're so funny, they eat the birdseed that is on the ground and they won't share so they spend more time fighting one another than they do eating.

The wedding Saturday could not have been more beautiful. Jillian was definitely a pinterest queen while planning her wedding as a lot of the little details looked familiar/similar to what she'd been pinning for the last 6 months or so. It was perfect, and you could tell just how much these two are loved. Uncle Rick built a backyard that is out of something like "Finding Neverland" which it was really noticable once the lights went down and the lights came on. I swear Tinkerbell and her friends were buzzing all around us as the night went on.

The ceremony itself was so Christ centered and just a beautiful testimony to God's faithfulness and love for all of us. Jillian and Matt are such a godly example of how to live life, and I was so very blessed to be part of their day. After the ceremony and family pictures (enter sarcastic yay here, I prefer to be behind the camera) I manned the "photo booth" where guests could come and be a little goofy to celebrate the couple in pictures. I got some great shots of quite a few people before we were all called to the back for dinner and dancing.

The dinner was mexican flavored, and buffet style. It was so good! I am not a fan of chicken tacos, but however they seasoned it, I almost didn't miss the beef. The corn tortillas weren't fried, but they were fantastic as well. Either I was super hungry (true) or it was just really good (or both). Once we all got our fill the tables moved out of the way of the dance floor and the party really started!

View from the tables. So does not do it
justice for how beautiful the night was!

I am not much of a dancer, I just feel too goofy out there, so I people watched. My parents, though, were on the floor most of the was the sib... I've decided he got his dance moves from Forrest Gump. As the group danced the night away, I watched the backyard transform into an enchanted fairyland. The white lights, the crystals, everything was magical. Where their cake and other dessert were they had mini chandeliers that twinkled and I swore Tinkerbell and her friends were having their own parties within them.

Jillian and Matt's first dance was from the movie Aladdin, "A Whole New World." It's been Jillian's song for what seems like FOREVER. After that my cousin Jake's band (Odd Man Out) took over and the dancing really began. Let's just say that the band was AWESOME, and everyone had a fantastic time. The party went well past the 10pm curfew.

After sending Jillian and Matt off with lavender and sparklers. We played designated drivers and finally got back home after midnight. Sunday we woke, went to brunch, and then by noon we were back at Rick and Becca to finish cleaning up after the wedding. I don't think I've ever spent so much time at their house - and that includes last year when I stayed at their house! Once that was finished Mom, Dad, Duane and I went to the Empire Mine to wander around. It was too hot to stay out for very long and we decided to go to Bridgeport to cool off.

Empire Mine's Mansion - I could live in that.
Dad, I don't think, has been to Bridgeport ever, and if he has - it was when he was a kid. Needless to say he took the scenic route. I was so sick to my stomach by the time we got to the river. We waded in what little water there was and it was refreshing. We stayed for about an hour and then headed home. It was a busy but fun day.

Monday I flew home. I was so not ready to come back to Alaska - don't get me wrong I don't want to ever live anywhere else (except MAYBE in a Disney Park lol), but I love my family! I've concluded Oakland's being cheaper to fly out of does not make it better. I don't want to ever visit Oakland or that airport again! Yuck! (What should I expect from RAIDER country, right?)

Tuesday I spent about an hour with Haille Rae before driving home. I don't think it's jetlag, but I'm so exhausted. It was a whirlwind trip and it's catching up with me! Thankfully I've just been hanging at home with the dogs (who were all happy I came home) and editing photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment