Sunday, March 20, 2011

30 Days of Disney: Day Twenty-one

Day 21: An Overrated Film

Any Disney CGI film before Tangled. Their storylines are horrible, the animation doesn't hold up to dreamworks (Shrek), Pixar (nothing better), or half a dozen other studios who do full out CGI animated movies. I think the only ones they're comparable to are the VeggieTales series, but those at least have short and sweet stories. Not so much - for me - with Meet the Robinsons or Bolt. I want Disney Animation to focus on the medium that grew this company into the monster it is today. 2d animation. Hate to break it to you, but even Tangled would have been just as amazing had they gotten the best 2d animators out there to work on it. Princess and the Frog was lovely (though I like the techonologies of Walt's Day more than doing it all in the computer with scans and what have you).

There's something to be said of the old classics where you can see the "pencil lines" of each character, there's more depth in those films (story and animation) than there are in the newer all done in the computer ones. I don't think Tangled gained anything from being fully CGI. I think the characters would be more life like on 2d form.

But that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment