Friday, January 28, 2011

30 Days of [Figure] Skating: Day Twenty-five

Day 25: The Quad. Give your opinion.

The quad is just another revolution in jumps already well established. I think it is a huge feat for any skater to land one consistently, more and more skaters try and fail... and it's been over 20 years since Kurt Browning landed the first ratified one, and thirty years since they were reportedly being attempted by some of the top names of the day.

I don't think it's the ugly stick of skating, I would agree that skaters obsess over it a bit too much, but that's only because I think fans and the media start the mania. There's a huge debate over whether or not you're not a man without one (so what does that make all of those men out there who aren't figure skaters? do they never get to even attempt manhood because they can't jump and spin four times in the air and land on a skinny little metal blade?).

I don't think it takes any more out of the program to set up the quad as it does for a triple axel or other triple jump. I've seen some skaters telegraph from one end of the rink to the other to hit a triple toe. Where as some quads seem to burst out of nowhere in comparison. I would argue that, without commentators saying "here comes the quad attempt" most fans wouldn't even know they were telegraphing for a quad.

So here's to the quad, just another exciting element to an already exciting sport!

1 comment:

  1. The Quad ~ Pretty much necessary to win now... but I don't have a problem with it because it's so common place that you better be able to do one at that level.... When Kurt did it, it was a lot more exciting...

    Unless of course we're talking the woman.... few woman have attempted them and then it's still exciting, although, overall I'd still prefer to see gracefulness than pure power in woman's skting....

    I LOVE it when Pairs do quadruple twists... Pairs I always love the huge powerful elements and a lot of teams can do them... quad twists are severely underrated in my opinion. Especially since a lot of times it's the beautiful lined skaters that can pull them off, like Gordeeva/Grinkov, they had one, but took it out when they didn't get the scores for it. But twists are my favourite pair element haha (or maybe tied with the pair sit spin)

    ReplyDelete