Thursday, October 14, 2010

30 Days of Me: Day Eight

Day 8: A Photo that makes you angry/sad

First off, sorry for not updating regularly. I have been busy scrapbooking, trying to get on top of the mountain of memories. So far I haven't even made a dent! UGH! This is what I get for being a slacker for six years.

Now, onto the topic. This photo was taken in Nenana, AK this year in their little walk through mueseum (which is in the old railway station). I never knew these plaques existed, but they were commissioned after the winner of the Iditarod each year and only 500 (I think) were made. Not sure how one acquired one. This plaque is of 4time Iditarod Champion, Susan Butcher. Susan was every Alaskan girl's hero in the 80s and 90s. She was the second woman to win the race (Libby Riddles was the first winning in 1985, after which Susan took over), and was loved by just about everyone who followed the race.

Susan died just a few years ago after a long and brave fight with cancer. I never got to meet her, though my grandparents were huge supporters of her and received many cards and letters from her throughout the years.

Just makes me sad, I suppose, but also proud of a true Alaskan woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment