Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A is for Axel

I've been redoing my room tonight, and I ended up stopping and reading World Figure Skating Champion Kurt Browning's children's book A is for Axel: An Ice Skating Alphabet. I was fortunate enough to snag my copy at a book signing he did at the 2006 US Figure Skating National Championships. It was probably the greatest 'celebrity' experience of my life and sealed Kurt into the number one spot on my favorites list. I don't think there's a more genuine skater on the planet. The fact that he was able to boot Scott Hamilton out of that spot is probably the best indicator of how much I truly appreciate Browning as a skater and a person.

The book itself shows just another side of Kurt's talent, and brings a little light on his passion. As a father of two, it's obvious Kurt revels in his role as dad - his eldest is even featured in a couple of the book's illustrations. The simple poetry for each letter is sweet, and the tidbits on the history and technical side of figure skating - while simple in explanation - make the book good for kids just learning their letter to just starting to read real books... and is a great addition to any figure skating fan's collection.

Now, if we could just get Kurt to write a second autobiography that takes off where the one from 1992 left off, I'd be a happy fangirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment