Friday, January 8, 2010

Scott... Hamilton!!!



I found this little gem today while posting on a fun thread at the Golden Skate Forums (if you don't already know I am one of their moderators. So yes, consider that a shameless plug if you will.

It's a moving tribute to one of the greatest skaters the world will ever know. Yes this is coming from a biased American. In 1989 I had the priveledge - though I didn't understand it at the time - of watching Scott Hamilton skate LIVE in a Disney on Ice show when they came to Anchorage, AK. I wasn't even four years old, yet, but Scott's the only thing I truly remember outside of the Mickey Mouse flashlight I got from the show. One backflip is all it took and the obsession with Scott and skating began.

After viewing this video on youtube I began to really grow nostalgic. Scott is closely tied to my childhood. He was my first true childhood hero (sorry Joe [Montana] and Jerry [Rice]) and he influenced me to the point where - even though I can't skate - I am pretty active with teh sport. I have friends on the elite level of skating, that had it not been for this obsession I'd not even have the amazing friendships that I do with fans and skaters alike.

And, again, it all stems from the short happy bald guy that skated into my heart that night in 1989. It boggles my mind all of the obstacles he had to face to get where he did. It boggles my mind that after 6 or so years of retirement he's coming back. It boggles...

Say what you will about Scott as a commentator, or a business man... or even as a skater. But for many of us, including myself, he is legendary. And a hero.

You've found your Hero's Welcome, Scott!

No comments:

Post a Comment